One of my heart’s desires is for little K to learn to love books. I want her to grow up wanting to read more than play interactive games. I guess we are on the right track because when we are at the mall, K gets more giddy with books than toys! :) I came across this post by Kyle and Melissa which lists tips on how a parent can cultivate a reader. The posts stresses that reading helps in developing excellent grammar and writing skills. I agree. Here are the tips that you just might find useful:
- Be a good example by reading a lot.
- Keep a lot of reading materials everywhere and make them accessible to your child.
- Expose them to a wide variety of books. Sometimes all it takes is one particular book to get a child interested.
- Buy books that appeal to your child’s interest.
- Read aloud to each other. If your child does not know how to read yet, make it a habit to read to him or her. Once he or she has started learning how to read, encourage him or her to read aloud to you as well.
- Limit TV time and increase reading time.
- Play word games to pass the time.